What a mess

Place to talk while we get our act together.

Moderator: tkahike

admin
Site Admin

What a mess

Post by admin » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:37 am

As you know MINION went down. When this happened last time, our hosting company moved us to a different server as the software we were using was no longer supported and no longer would work on the hosting servers new database server software. Everyone chipped in and we bought the new software to update. However, they updated the server before we could get the update going, though we did save all the years of data.

Here is the catch, it is two fold. I tried to install the new Vbulletion software and was having nothing but nightmares. I asked my friend who is very familiar with the software and much more of a tech then I will ever be. He started the process but has been hitting wall after wall. This is not just a simple install the new, add the back up data. We had 3.8, the new one is 5.3. To get the 3.8 data to work, you have to run it through the 4.0 upgrades. On top of that, our hosting company is very secure, so each forum, sub forum and such has to have permissions set to work, over 10k check boxes we have to go through. The hosting company points to VB, VB points to the hosting company and around and around we go.

To top it all off, the person helping me is still going through treatments for cancer, so he his not in top shape and has limited time to work on this.

I am very sorry for all of those who have not had your MINION fix. Anything posted in this temporary forum will not be saved when we get VB up. I also do not have everyones email, so hopefully we get folks to check in and we will take it from there.

Jason
tkahike

Marine

Re: What a mess

Post by Marine » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:42 pm

ugh. I was wondering what happened.

mkeith54

Post by mkeith54 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Thanks for the info Jason. Can not get to this site from my main computer, just my tablet. My main endlessly redirects to the old entry page.

tkahike

Post by tkahike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:48 am

mkeith54 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:14 pm
Thanks for the info Jason. Can not get to this site from my main computer, just my tablet. My main endlessly redirects to the old entry page.
You might have to just save this link. I did forward www.minionreport.net to this forum, but it seems the gods are challenging me right now lol with a lot.

I have no time frame to get things back up and running because its all out of my hands. Dan was in the city this week getting another surgery and has a young daughter at home and not trying to burn through all his sick time. I can only ask so much from him.

Thanks everyone, I hope we can get the word out, we will be back in full swing, I just can't lose all those years of data.

toad sticker

Post by toad sticker » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks for hanging in there for us
TS

led4

Post by led4 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:50 pm

Jason, I am a server admin for the state I live in. We run into the crap with software upgrades like you have. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. I am not familiar with vBulletin but I manager a lot of different software.

This morning I set up a mewe page and passed the info to Lycan, Lib and GBH to pass on to anyone else they have an email for, do you mind if I put your post on it? It is there for anyone to join.

https://mewe.com/group/5d876b3b5a7be5222e35e57f

tkahike

Post by tkahike » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:27 am

led4 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:50 pm
Jason, I am a server admin for the state I live in. We run into the crap with software upgrades like you have. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. I am not familiar with vBulletin but I manager a lot of different software.

This morning I set up a mewe page and passed the info to Lycan, Lib and GBH to pass on to anyone else they have an email for, do you mind if I put your post on it? It is there for anyone to join.

Please do. And thank you for the offer. I know Dan is working on it, its just a lot of BS, I will let you know.

Jason

mkeith54

Post by mkeith54 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:09 am

Jason,
An idea here, maybe a note on the minion redirect page to let everyone know what is happening. That is how I knew to keep checking, that page still worked even though nothing else did.

Mike

bobd

Post by bobd » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks for making the effort during a rough time Jason. Naturally was first concerned about you, but of course secondarily a bit depressed thinking minions was done.

Hope all works out.

led4

Post by led4 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:29 am

tkahike wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:27 am
led4 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:50 pm

Please do. And thank you for the offer. I know Dan is working on it, its just a lot of BS, I will let you know.

Jason
There is probably a way to run a powershell script to do this each time so he doesn't have to manually check boxes. "so each forum, sub forum and such has to have permissions set to work, over 10k check boxes we have to go through."