NCoV19

Place to talk while we get our act together.

Moderator: tkahike

Libertarian

NCoV19

Post by Libertarian » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:10 am

Is everyone geared up for the Kung Flu?

tkahike

Re: NCoV19

Post by tkahike » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:03 pm

Best be, good look getting masks, everywhere is sold out. I still have plenty of stock from previous events.

Notenoughtime3

Post by Notenoughtime3 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:33 pm

tkahike wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:03 pm
Best be, good look getting masks, everywhere is sold out. I still have plenty of stock from previous events.
Don't you really need a full faced respirator as it can be absorbed through the eyes?

mrostov

Post by mrostov » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:12 pm

Stefan Molyneaux new video on this today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt85Eb7WlfA

mrostov

Post by mrostov » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:18 pm

Masks help block stray moisture particles that the virus rides on, as do simple safety goggles. Get the N95 masks (try Home Depot or Lowes) and don't forget nitrile gloves.

Your best defense is a strong immune system. Powdered vitamin C, gel caps of Vitamin D and B complex are excellent. Tablets are the worst form of vitamins, hard for your body to absorb.

tkahike

Post by tkahike » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 am

Eldeberry should be on hand and ready to go. You can make a ton of it, stored in cool dry place lasts forever.

Notenoughtime3

Post by Notenoughtime3 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:53 am

tkahike wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 am
Eldeberry should be on hand and ready to go. You can make a ton of it, stored in cool dry place lasts forever.
What am I missing? When my wife makes a batch of syrup it's only good for so long in the refrigerator. Are you talking about holding on to the dried berries in bulk?

Libertarian

Post by Libertarian » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:42 pm

If true, this is mind-blowing. I saw this elsewhere with no link given.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQWyPAYU8AA ... ame=medium

tkahike

Post by tkahike » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:21 am

Notenoughtime3 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:53 am
tkahike wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 am
What am I missing? When my wife makes a batch of syrup it's only good for so long in the refrigerator. Are you talking about holding on to the dried berries in bulk?
The original recipe I have is good forever pretty much as long as kept in a cool dark place per Goatlady. Its posted on the original board, I have it on my hard drive as well, will post it here.

tkahike

Post by tkahike » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:41 am

Clean mason jars. Wide-mouth jars work best because it's easier to get the berries into them, but you can use whatever jar you have. They don't even have to be proper mason/canning jars; anything with a tight-fitting lid will work. Use glass, not metal.
A source of elderberries. Fresh, local berries are best, but you can also order dried berries in bulk. If your berries are frozen, let them thaw and then continue with the instructions.
A fork for removing the elderberries from the stems.
A bowl and a colander to store and wash the elderberries.
100-proof vodka. 100-proof vodka is typically used in tincture-making because it is 50 percent water and 50 percent alcohol, comprising a standard solution. You can use regular vodka or even brandy in a pinch, though.

If you have planted your own elderberry bush, that's great. Otherwise, identify the elderberry bush before picking anything, as it's easy to confuse elderberry with the toxic water hemlock, Cicuta mexicana. You can tell the difference because water hemlock's stems are hollow with purple stripes. All parts of water hemlock are toxic, so don't touch the plant. Remember that raw elderberry can cause nausea, so resist the urge to sample the berries.

You'll want to pick only ripe elderberries. The berries are ripe when they are a deep purple-black color and slightly soft to the touch. Use scissors to snip off the purple berry clusters with stems intact. This makes it easier to strip the berries from the "umbrells," the umbrella-like, delicate stems that they grow on. Use the large central stem as a handle while cleaning off the berries.

Use a fork to gently pull the berries off the umbrells. Start at the bottom of the cluster and work your way up toward the main stem.

Remove any bits of stem that got into the bowl, and place them in a large colander. Rinse well with plenty of cold running water and drain.

Optional: Take a potato masher or put the berries in your blender and mash them a bit. This applies only to fresh berries, not if you're using dried.

Spoon or pour the washed elderberries into a clean, dry mason jar. Fill the jar loosely with the berries up to about one inch from the neck of the jar.

Pour 100-proof vodka or spirit of choice over the berries, covering them completely. Fill the jar almost to the brim with alcohol.

lose the jar with a tight-fitting lid such as a fresh canning lid and ring. Use a permanent marker to label the jar with:

The date you made the tincture
The herb used
The type of alcohol used

Allow the tincture to steep for two to six weeks. Shake the jar each day. For the first week or so, unscrew the lid each day and check to be sure the berries are covered with vodka. Top off with additional vodka as needed.

After six weeks, strain the tincture through a colander into a bowl, pressing as much tincture out of the berries as you can. Rebottle the resulting liquid in a clean jar, label it and store it in a dark place. Discard the berries.