Quinine

Place to talk while we get our act together.

Moderator: tkahike

mrostov

Quinine

Post by mrostov » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:23 am

It seems that quinine, the 19th Century vintage anti-malaria drug, is effective in treating COVID-19. Woohoo.... go figure.

Quinine is what makes 'tonic water' a 'tonic'.

Gin & Tonic anyone? Vodka tonic? Tequila tonic? Rum & tonic?

This quarantine could get somewhat hazy and fuzzy. After all, we must be patriotic and medicate regularly for the good of the country.

Libertarian

Re: Quinine

Post by Libertarian » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:22 am

Are any of the commercial tonic water brands made with quinine?

mrostov

Post by mrostov » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:06 am

Yes, for example, the Great Value brand sold at Walmart
33.8 fl oz for $0.77

Ingredients

Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid , Natural Flavor, Potassium Benzoate (A preservative), Quinine Hydrochloride

Product features

Great Value Tonic Water is a tasty refreshment with no artificial flavors or colors. This drink has a distinctive bitter flavor because quinine is dissolved in it. Tonic water was traditionally used as a way to prevent malaria, but now it is commonly enjoyed in your favorite cocktails, like the vodka tonic and gin and tonic. Add this carbonated tonic water to lemon water to create a refreshingly bitter lemon drink. Enjoy it on its own or use it as an ingredient in cocktails. This versatile beverage has many enjoyable uses. Keep your cabinet stocked with Great Value Tonic Water.

https://grocery.walmart.com/ip/Great-Va ... z/10448545

Libertarian

Post by Libertarian » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:31 am

Thanks! I'll try to score some this weekend.

Notenoughtime3

Post by Notenoughtime3 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm

Tonic water... as bad as I remember it.

mrostov

Post by mrostov » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:38 am

I was sick as a dog last week, something trying to get into my lungs. It wasn't a cold and it wasn't the flu, and it hit hard and fast. I assumed it was CV but getting tested is a pain in the ass, and they way they collect the swab looks horribly uncomfortable, to put it mildly.

So, I had plenty of supplies. I simply quarantined myself. Four times a day I filled a 12oz cup 3/4 full of tonic water, 1/4 full of mango/pineapple fruit drink (made everything palatable), poured in a heaping teaspoon of crystalline vitamin c, and an eye dropper full of a homeopathic zinc solution. I did that some Tylenol, and regularly slammed enough cough syrup to get a fair buzz, but maybe that was the rum, hard to tell past a certain point. Whatever it was, it stopped getting worse and in a few days it was gone.

Libertarian

Post by Libertarian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:44 am

I wonder if silver would work in place of zinc? I have some colloidal silver.

mrostov

Post by mrostov » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:15 am

Colloidal silver would probably be effective in it's own way. Be careful of argyria, where you ingest too much colloidal silver and wind up permanently looking like a smurf.

Zinc is known to be effective as a supplement to your body's defense in fighting off viruses that effect respiratory system. I read an article on some doctor in the northeast who was having a 100% success rate with severe CV patients using a triple cocktail of hydroxychloroquine, zithromax (antibiotic for secondary infections), and zinc sulfate.

Notenoughtime3

Post by Notenoughtime3 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:05 pm

Tang makes it palatable.

Just be careful of the foam build up after the first spoonful.

mrostov

Post by mrostov » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:11 am

Tang is an old standby favorite when it comes to things like using powdered livestock antibiotics which tend to have a very bitter taste all by themselves.